Monday, December 13, 2010

day IV: of troy and pergamon

After crossing the Dardanelles Straits, we checked into a hotel at Canakkale. The next day, we were off to Troia or Truva, a place in Turkey, famous for Ruins of Troy.

#8: RUINS OF TROY

Miniature version at breakfast buffet
This town is famous for Troy. Everywhere, you see lots of Troy or Trojan Horse souvenirs. Having just watched the movie, "Troy", last month, I was especially ecstatic to visit this attraction.

The Trojan Horse comes to life~
At the entrance, you can see giant replica of Trojan Horse. It is two stories high and you can see a nice mural of trojan horse on the ground from the top.



What used to be a great city
When I was young, I have the animated version of "The Iliad" by Homer. And also the movie, "Troy" being still fresh in my mind, I was amazed at the ancient civilisation before me.

Bricks stacked according to shape, not cement
The city was so huge, we walked endlessly. The city wall bricks of Troy were so strong and un-penetrable although back then, there was no such thing as cement. It was because, according to our tour guide, the Troys build their bricks based on sizes. They stacked them according to their shapes and their fit.

Intricate design
Of course, the city is in ruins now and what is left are just this stones that reminded us what were once there.

What used to be a house
The sky was also very clear and blue, made for a great picturesque view in my shots.

Fig trees, the fruits are lovely
I got side-tracked a little and took photos of nature too:)

My favourite shot
Just took this randomly after seeing the shack in the middle of nowhere. But turns out I really like this shot:)


Each roman numerals signify civilisations
Back then, they used to be build one city on top of another. This area itself covers around 6 different periods of civilisations.

Remnants of stone

#9: ACROPOLIS OF PERGAMON

After having lunch, we went to our next stop, the Acropolis of the Graeco-Roman city of Pergamon, situated in the town of Bergama. Because the site was above the hill, our bus was unable to take us there. Instead, we took yellow cab taxis to the site.

Roman pillars
After being exhausted from the climb to the top, I was immediately blown away by this pillars. I know, things like this get me excited a lot. I always enjoyed the ancient Greek and Roman history when I was younger.

Headless statue
The pillars and headless statues remained from what was another great and prosperous city.

Me with the ruins
I took a lot of pictures here because I love the view behind me. This place was huge too, we did not manage to walk it all, just the main ones.

Theater
The great theater. And from here, you can see the whole of Bergama too. Lovely view~

Unique design beneath the stones
Next post: Going to Izmir to see Ephesus and Virgin Mary's Cottage.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

hahhaa i like the headless statue.so unique and haunted. eh did u steal any stone from the ruins i men in troy..valuable de..u shud steal some n giv it to us since it's from troy.then u no nid buy souvenir =DDD like my mom likes to collect stones..haha

FIFIONA said...

headless statue also nice meh? haha...yaya i wanted to steal but i scared later my luggage exceed...u know la, cannot exceed 20kg mah, and hand-carry also cannot exceed 7kg...

FIFIONA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Labels

AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

EVERYTHING HERE IN THIS BLOG IS AN OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT THAT BELONGS TO MISS FIONA TONG SO DON'T RIP, LOSER.
(unless you ask ms blogger first)