Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hong Kong July 2013 Itinerary: Third Day (Part 1)

It was our last day in Hong Kong. There were still a lot of things on my list that I have not yet done.

Because I wanted to go to visit the Giant Buddha at Lantau Island, Yi Won so kindly agreed to acompany me. Li Ling and Zee Yun have decided to spend their last day at HK by being kids again at Hong Kong Disneyland, also at Lantau Island.

#7: Having HK-style Breakfast at char chan teng

But first, we headed out looking for breakfast. Yi Won mentioned how we have yet to try any polo bun so we hunted for this restaurant 金華冰廳 at Prince Edward. Needless to say, we were so unfamiliar with the place that we got so horribly lost. Finally thanks to a kind soul, we found our famished selves inside the char chan teng


Ordering from the menu provided is a challenge for someone like me who is illiterate in Mandarin.


However, a lot of pictures and newspaper/magazine articles are pasted on the walls so just point and voila!

The polo bun deserves 2 thumbs up for being the most delicious and crispy bun ever. I don't even like polo bun but I just could not get enough of it.


French toast is something I like but avoid occasionally because some places just served it real bad. However, this one was nothing short of amazing. It is crispy without being oily and just the right amount of butter and honey.

#8: Taking Cable Car Ride to Lantau Island

After a filling and satisfying lunch, we took the MTR to Tung Chung station Exit B where Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car is located.

I have seen photos of people taking the cable car to Lantau Island, especially the Crystal Cabin cable car that has a glass bottom so you can actually see the view from the bottom. Sounds scary? Apparently that is what Yi Won thinks so we just took the Standard Cabin cable car. For a round-trip ticket, it costs HKD135. Crystal Cabin is HKD213.


Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal.


Crossing the sea can be kinda scary.

Finally we reached Ngong Ping Terminal. The first thing that you see once you exit is, of course Ngong Ping Village. It has a traditional feel to it and has lots of shows available. But our aim here is to visit Giant Buddha so we didn't buy any tickets for any shows.

Along the way, we passed by many souvenir shops.


The walk to Giant Buddha seems far for two city girls like us but the air was a lot fresher here compared to Hong Kong city so I enjoyed the walk.

#9: Visiting Giant Buddha

When we saw the stairs leading to Giant Buddha, we actually groaned. But there were lots of elderly and children also walking up the stairs so we cannot lose also right? The higher we went, the cooler we felt. The weather was also quite good, cloudy but no rain.

Giant Buddha
Yes, finally we arrived. I think I was more excited as I have only seen this gigantic landmark in movies and dramas and pictures but never in real life. I am not the religious kind just the curious kind lol.

We spend a few minutes there praying and resting and also enjoying the cool breeze. After that, I wanted to visit Wisdom Path but because it is quite the distance away, Yi Won was a little hesitant as she was tired of walking already.

But fortunately, she gave in. Thanks babes :)
 

#10: Visiting Wisdom Path
 
Although it was a long walk inside the forest trail, I was so excited when I finally see it. It is such an amazing view, just pillars and pillars of Chinese characters. I don't think you can see this anywhere else other than HK.

Suzane asked me if I became smarter after going to "Wisdom Path" LOL.


A jumpshot near the entrance to Po Lin Monastery which we didn't visit because we were exhausted already. Apparently you can also purchase meal tickets for vegetarian meal here.

#OOTD - Leessang Cap: online; Atlas tee: Topshop; Skorts: Zara; Bag: Longchamp; Shoes: Adidas (not shown); Watch: Bangkok
We ate tau foo fah and took some pics at Ngong Ping Village before boarding the cable car back to Tung Chung station.


At last, it was time for some R&R as we decided to shop at Tung Chung Citygate Outlet Mall which is right opposite Tung Chung MTR station. I cannot really remember what brands were there as I didn't shop for anything there. Just not my type of shopping brands but I saw many people buying luggage bags. Yi Won also bought some clothes. Still prefer Bangkok as my shopping destination lol.

Hungry and tired, we just ate lunch at the mall's food court:


Yi Won's cheese chicken chop rice.


I was craving for Korean food so ate this beef rice. It tasted good but was such a huge portion that I found myself struggling to finish it. I don't know why food portions in HK are so big. Huhuhu next time both of us should share one portion instead.

-Day 3 to be continued-

No comments:

Labels

AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

EVERYTHING HERE IN THIS BLOG IS AN OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT THAT BELONGS TO MISS FIONA TONG SO DON'T RIP, LOSER.
(unless you ask ms blogger first)