Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bangkok June 2011 Day 1

I have served my last day at my last station today. It has been a challenging week thus far, being the only prp at Oncology Pharmacy, especially during the near-Raya season whereby the staff are slowly taking their breaks for their upcoming celebrations. I am just glad I managed to go through it and still being in one piece, albeit terribly exhausted.

I cannot wait to blog about my Bangkok trip that I went with my old UKM friends - Clara, Jane and Carolyn. But then I remembered I did not even blog about my Bangkok trip last year. Gulp, and the OCD part of me cannot let it go so I am just going to make some brief travel posts on Bangkok 2011 before I can start on Bangkok 2012.

******

Last June, after I graduated, I went on few trips and the last one I went just before I started working was to Bangkok in June 2011. Actually, the main purpose of this trip was to visit my mom's cousin, who migrated to Bangkok 10 years ago with his family. Since they hardly come back to Malaysia, we decided to pay a visit to them in Bangkok.

It was a very last minute decision. So last minute that Air Asia tickets were sky rocket high - almost the same price with German Lufthasa airlines, so we decided on the latter.

first time flying Lufthansa Airlines
Actually, Bangkok is a transit on Lufthansa's flight to Frankfurt, Germany.

Harrod's at KLIA
Upon arrival via night flight, we were soon whisked away to my aunt's apartment in Bangkok, which soon became our home for the next one week. My aunt doesn't live there, it served as a place to stay for her guests who come to Bangkok.




Traditional dancers during prayers

Erawan Shrine
On our first day in Bangkok, after breakfast we went to Erawan Shrine to offer our prayers as my aunt explained that many people come here because it is very "leng", meaning most people get their prayers and wishes answered here. It is also known as four-faced Buddha, located among major shopping complexes in the town area.

ERAWAN SHRINE
Thanon Ratchadamri
Lumphini, Pathum Wan 
Bangkok 10330


At Gaysorn for lunch
After that, we went next door to Gaysorn shopping mall (I will never forget that name - Gaysorn lol) to have our lunch at Xinn Tien Di Chinese restaurant. They served the most delicious dim sum with huge juicy prawns. Plus, it was my first time eating the crispy Peking duck skin with popia wrap. It was so sinfully good.

XINN TIEN DI
3rd Floor, Gaysorn Shopping Centre,
999 Ploenchit Road,
Bangkok 10330.

After lunch, we moved on to the first touristy thing on our itinerary - visiting Siam Ocean World, which is Southeast Asia's largest aquarium, located at the basement of arguably Bangkok's most famous shopping mall, the Siam Paragon. 

When people asked me about Siam Paragon, I just say it's like KL's Pavilion :)


Siam Ocean World at Siam Paragon


When my aunt Wendy saw this, the first thing she said was, "This is delicious!"
My cousin who lives in Bangkok, my mom and my aunt whom I went to Bangkok with
Siam Ocean World is a good place to go if you are into marine wildlife. Besides underwater sea creatures, they also have penguins, nocturnal animals, etc.

SIAM OCEAN WORLD
991 Rama 1 Road
Bangkok 10330
(BTS: Siam Station)

Finally, we were all ready for dinner. It was at a Thai restaurant that I foolishly forgot to note its name but the chilli crab is to die for!

Apparently, this place is so well-known that they even brought the Japanese Prime Minister to dine here before.


Thai cuisine for dinner

No comments:

Labels

AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

EVERYTHING HERE IN THIS BLOG IS AN OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT THAT BELONGS TO MISS FIONA TONG SO DON'T RIP, LOSER.
(unless you ask ms blogger first)