Monday, February 02, 2009

bangkok trip: part III # i am a shopaholic!

I wanna go Hong Kong and meet all the TVB HK stars!
____________________________________________________________

This is going to be the last part about my Bangkok trip last Christmas.

I went there to shop for some new CNY togs and thanks to Li Ling, who showed me some cool places with really good bargains, I got more than what I had hoped for.

So the following are the few shopping places we went to in Bangkok and what I loved in each of these places.

(Note: 10baht is approximately RM1.00)

1) Platinum Wholesale Shopping Mall

This is the first place we went shopping in. Made up of 6 floors filled with clothes, shoes, bags and accessories.

Here is what you should know: Platinum is a great place to shop for clothes because they have really, some of the trendiest-looking clothes here. Clothes you won't normally be able to find in KL, you can find it here. And in a fraction of the price too. Of course, if you want to buy in wholesale prices, you need to get a minimum of three pieces in different colours (or same). My trick? Since I don't want to get 3 pieces of same design, I usually share with friends.

Although the clothes are relatively cheap, the other stuff like bags, shoes and accessories are pretty expensive. The bags are really really nice and stylish but I couldn't find any bags I really like because I was hunting for smaller bags but here, they sell a lot of oversized bags. Unlike me, I think my shopping buddy, Wai Yin, got a lot of great-looking bags.

As for the shoes, trust me, if you live by the motto, "Beauty is pain", then you will love the shoes here. If not, there are also lots of nice-looking flats available.

The accessories, on the contrary, are not cheap, even in wholesale prices. Which makes us assumed that they are probably imported from China or somewhere. But nevertheless, the earrings and necklaces are really pretty.

A tip I would give is that, eventhough the 5th floor houses the accessories sections, there are other shops downstairs that sell same items but a little bit cheaper. For instance, waist cinchers selling for 150 baht downstairs rather than 180baht upstairs and headbands for only 19baht downstairs, better than 70baht upstairs.


-a mascot we saw promoting magazines-

-picture source-

-one of my favourite buys is this dress for only 130baht (wholesale price)-

-I saw these belts online selling for RM25++ and I got them for 150baht each-


-picture source-

-online boutique selling exact same ones for RM26-

-I also bought this edgy cotton LBD for 16obaht-

2) Wholesale markets around Pratunam area

First Hotel was situated around the Pratunam area. A short walk away leads us to this road lined with many wholesale shops. I tell you, I was like a little child in a candy store here. Everything was so so cheap and I wish I could buy everything if it isn't because I had a budget to stick to.

Bags and shoes are also pretty cheap here. Love love the T-shirts. Shorts are also cheap but because I have a big butt and cannot try (because they are by the roadside) so dare not buy. If you are XS, S or M, then it is practically shopping haven for you.


-the roads are pretty narrow and crowded with lots of people-


-everyone went crazy for the huge stack of printed cardis (50baht!) and various tank tops of all colours (30baht)-


-picture source-

-I bought this butterfly-printed one, which I later saw in Times Square selling for RM10-


-I also love Bangkok cute T-shirts. Only 50baht each. WaiYin bought so many to last her whole year-

-my favourite shops were selling these candy-coloured tops and dresses. I picked 3 of these for the wholesale price of 100baht each-

-picture source- and -picture source-

-I saw my yellow dress online selling for RM27 and RM30 respectively but Times Sq is only selling for RM20-

3) Siam Paragon Shopping Complex

On the 3rd day, after going to Chatuchak, we took a train to Siam Paragon just to have a look. It is like the Pavillion in Kl, only much much bigger.


-our first time embarking Bangkok's own version of our M'sia's LRT-


-we passed by Victory Monument-


-we had to count the stops because we couldn't understand the language-


-decked out in gigantuos Christmas decor outside-


-need to go through scanner just to go in-

4) MBK Center Shopping Mall


A short walk from Siam Paragon brings us to MBK Center, another shopping mall which kind of reminds me of Sungei Wang Plaza. It was here I saw my Big Bang original cds selling for only 230baht. A few months ago, I was looking for those very same cds. After going to several music stores, I gave up and downloaded the whole album.

Because we were really tired and carrying loads of plastic bags of clothes, we didn't walk much but there is one shop in particular, I think is a great bargain shop - all bags for only 199baht. I saw same exact one in Chatuchak for 250baht. So had to get it and Li Ling bought one as well.

5) Wholesale stalls around Baiyoke


-rainbow building-

Just outside Baiyoke Sky is this whole area that have wholesale stalls operating in the morning and at night. Here, you can get even better bargains. But these stalls are only there for a few hours, until about 10.30am before they start closing. Only thing is, it is also very crowded so very difficult to get a good look at the clothes.

It is here I have the biggest regret. Saw this really pretty satin dress for really cheap price but WY and I decided to called Li Ling and Pearl, who are eating breakfast in hotel. When 4 of us returned to the market, it had already started packing.


-this stall selling so so so many pretty skirts for only 90baht each. Li Ling bought dozens-


-my best bargain, thanks to Li Ling. Only 65baht for this houndstooth trenchcoat. She saw it first but because it was too big for her, she told me about it-

6) Chatuchak Weekend Market

Coming to Bangkok, you must take a visit to the famous Chatuchak market. Even if one do not want to shop, it is great to come here and take a look.

-aboard the tuk-tuk that brings us to Chatuchak-

-a map of humongous Chatuchak-

As you can see, Chatuchak sells a variety of knick-knacks. From food, to leather items, magazines and antiques. These are just a few of the amount of stuff they have in this market. And the thing is, these pictures are taken outside the market, we have not even stepped inside the compound yet. When we took the train from Chatuchak to Siam Paragon, we could see the overview of the entire market, and OMG, we were definitely overwhelmed by the size of it.

-also very much crowded, although mostly by tourists-

-these are taken inside the market-

They were also selling so so cute pets. The hamsters and rabbits were all dressed up in cute dresses but too bad, they don't allowed us to take photos.

-after a hot day, we hydrate up with some yummy ice-cream-

-some of the stuff I bought-

I absolutely lurve the heels. They looked a tad similiar to oxford booties, with the shoelaces and all. I think oxford booties are really nice but too expensive, considering the fact that I know I won't wear it as often. But these gorgeous shoes only for 199baht, also much cheaper than the exact same pair I saw in Platinum.

Sunglasses usually go for about 100baht here. But luckily, I saw this small stall near the main entrance that only sells them for 50baht! There are of course, not as many choices but who can passed up such a great bargain?

Cloth headbands for 20baht each. I saw same ones in Platinum for 70baht.

-other stuff I bought-

I have a thing for printed shoes. I think they look good when you paired with just T-shirt and jeans. The leopard-printed flats and purple&gold sandals, I got from a small stall that operates in Pratunam market at night. It sells lots of really nice flats for really cheap. I think us girls gone crazy for that stall. We went there two nights in a row.

Finally I finished this post. ALL other posts will have to wait now as I will be busy in coming weeks.

No comments:

Labels

AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

EVERYTHING HERE IN THIS BLOG IS AN OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT THAT BELONGS TO MISS FIONA TONG SO DON'T RIP, LOSER.
(unless you ask ms blogger first)