Tuesday, November 27, 2007

from 2007 back to the 1940s'

The 1940s' and 1950s' era sense of style and fashion is one of my favourites. Whenever I watch any post-war themed movies or those Shanghai gangsta period kind of movies, I always enjoyed watching the costumes that the women wore. It was sort of when the androgynous look started, with the form-fitting suits and the loss of ruffles and heavy skirts. Women opted for a simpler look then, enhancing their figures, and now with the return of the 1940s' look, it proves to be timeless as well.

Last month's issue of CLEOmag did a spread on the key items of the 1940s' look that caught my attention. It is interesting how the retro look is always coming back. But I do like this retro look the most as to me, its style showcases the empowerment of women. Eventhough the epitome of this trend is the tough chic look, however, it also displays a sexy and gorgeous feminine side to it as well.

So here are some key items to get that 1940s' look:

(1) Peter-pan collars

Peter Pan makes a comeback in the fashion runway!

I don't know why they named it after the green flying guy but I have to admit that this collar looks pretty cute.

(L-R) H&M, Erin Featherston for Target, and Mooie

(2) Anything high-waisted

I personally do not like this trend as high-waisted whatever are made for skinny girls. For pear-shaped people like me, this will just emphasize how huge the hips are. But you have to admit, there are girls out there who can rock this look. I like how it gives the hourglass figure, perfect for those gals that think their figure is too stringbean-like.

High waisted pants:

(L-R) S'nob, SeanJohn for Women's collection, and H&M

High waisted skirt:

(L-R) MissSixty, UrbanOutfitters and SearleNYC

(3) Pussy-bow blouses

All from papergirlsshop.com

I really think this look is sweet and feminine but if one is not careful, she may look like a stewardess rather than a 1940s' starlet.

(4) Cover-ups

(L-R) H&M, EDC by Esprit and H&M

My favourite cover-ups of that era is the vests (which is something overflooding shops nowadays) and the double-breasted jackets. The best way to look great in these is to find the cover-up with the perfect fit.

(5) Others

Other key items to achieve this look is waist belts, hats (fedoras are cool!), form-fitting dresses, boots, high heels and red lipstick (suggestion only...lol).

~FASHION ICON ALERT~


I saw Jessica Alba on this morning's MTV TRL and absolutely love her SKIRT. But then again, Jess A looks good in anything!

No comments:

Labels

AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

EVERYTHING HERE IN THIS BLOG IS AN OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT THAT BELONGS TO MISS FIONA TONG SO DON'T RIP, LOSER.
(unless you ask ms blogger first)